Credits    Navigation      philipdick.com     Novels    Short Stories     References

als1.gif (4256 bytes)

Number

Writing Date

Pub. Date

Previous

Next

Notes

111

<Oct 4, 1962

Nov 1969

The Electric Ant

Cadbury, The Beaver That Lacked

See: WE CAN BUILD YOU

FIRST PUBLICATION

1969  alincoln.jpg (8682 bytes) Amazing, Nov 1969 and Jan 1970 {GC 4th : "with 3,000 word ending written by Ted White"}

HISTORY:

  "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum" is actually a version of Philip K. Dick’s novel WE CAN BUILD YOU. After sending in the manuscript for THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE to the SMLA, the next recorded manuscript receipt was for a novel titled THE FIRST IN YOUR FAMILY, on Oct 4, 1962.

    Unable to find a publisher for the story, the SMLA let it lie until Ted White, then editor at Amazing:

   "…heard about the novel … from someone at Scott Meredith -- maybe from when I worked there (1963), or perhaps later, I no longer recall -- and when I became editor of Amazing I asked for it. Scott was glad to send it out; it had been unsold for ten years by then, perhaps the only remaining unsold sf property of Phil's. I read it and realised what the problem was, and I asked Phil about two things: changing the title (to "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum," my choice) and adding an ending.

{…}

    So I called Phil up; he had no objection to my proposed title change and he suggested I write the ending to the novel. I counter-suggested that I write a first draft and send it to him for him to rewrite, and he agreed. So I wrote a somewhat off-the-wall final chapter in skeletal form. I expected Phil to either reject it out of hand or rewrite it and flesh it out. He did neither. He returned it to me with three words changed and praised its economy.

    As far as I knew when I ran "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum" it was in a form satisfactory to Phil. Because I considered myself a friend of Phil's, I tried to do more for him. I knew the novel had been rejected by every market that had seen it, and that undoubtedly included Ace (his original publisher), but ten years had passed and now it had an ending, so I gave a copy to Terry Carr, who was then editor of the Ace Specials. He didn't like it, but passed it on to Don Wollheim -- who had rejected the original version -- who also refused it. However, after Don went to DAW he must have had second thoughts, because he bought it for DAW and published it under a third title, WE CAN BUILD YOU --sans my ending."

Other magazine and Anthology appearances

NOTES:

SL:38    289

Dear Bruce Gillespie:

{...}{...}

    I know only one thing about my novels. In them, again and again, this minor man asserts himself in all his hasty, sweaty strength. In the ruins of Earth's cities he is busily constructing  a little factory that turns out cigars or maps or imitation artifacts that say, "Welcome to Miami, the pleasure center of the world!" In A. LINCOLN, SIMULACRUM, he operates a little business that produces corny electronic organs -- and, later on, human-like robots which ultimately become more of an irritation than a threat. Everything is on a small scale. Collapse is enormous; the positive little figure outlined against the universal rubble is, like Tagomi, Runciter, Molinari, gnat-sized in scope, finite in  what he can do ... and yet in some sense great. I really do not know why. I simply believe in him, and I love him. He will prevail. There is nothing else. At least nothing else that matters. That we should be concerned about. Because if he is there, like a tiny father-figure, everything is alright.

OAR 181

An interesting thing happened on my way to fleshing out the story of Phil's career for this book. I came across very convincing evidence that the above quoted account is incorrect in some key details. MARTIAN TIME SLIP was never submitted to Putnam. There was another novel that Phil's agent, if not Phil, saw as the appropriate work to follow in the footsteps of HIGH CASTLE. It was called THE FIRST IN YOUR FAMILY.…

These cards {in the SMLA file} clearly indicate that the first recorded receipt by the Agency of a manuscript from Phil following HIGH CASTLE was a novel called THE FIRST IN YOUR FAMILY (finally published ten years later as WE CAN BUILD YOU), received Oct 4, 1962.

This novel was submitted the same day to Putnam, which had just published HIGH CASTLE. Over the next four months it was rejected by Putnam, Doubleday, Simon & Schuster, Ballantine, and Crown, all hardcover publishers except Ballantine. It didn't ultimately find a publisher until Amazing Stories magazine serialized it in 1969, and then Don Wollheim, who had bought all of Phil's early novels at ACE, published it in 1972 through his new paperback imprint, DAW Books.

TDC 43

(PKD:) I wrote that novel before Disney even proposed to build the Lincoln simulacrum. I couldn't sell it for years and years and years and years. I wrote it while I was trying to fuse my mainstream stuff with my science fiction stuff, so its not quite science fiction, in the usual sense of the word. Finally Ted White, who knew of the existence of the manuscript, asked for it so he could publish it in a magazine. Ted added a final chapter to it, because -- as is well known -- writers are incapable of writing their own books. (explosive laughter on our part; Phil deadpans the whole routine with perfect sincerity) If it wasn't for kindly editors, who are your best friends, who'll help you out by adding another chapter, or removing one here or there, or turning one inside out, or changing all the names, or whatever, you'd never have gotten off the ground. Naturally I was very indebted to Ted White, and I let him know. The way I let him know was that when Wollheim published the book, I told Wollheim to remove the final chapter. So one day I ran into Ted White, and he said, "Do you know what they did to our book?" I says, "I know exactly what they did to 'our book', Ted. They took the 'our' out of 'our book'!"

I have seen the Lincoln simulacrum down there. I cut out the notice in the newspaper that Disney planned to build the Lincoln simulacrum and pasted it up on the wall of my study. I remember doing that because the novel had already been written. So he built it and I went to Disneyland and looked at the goddam thing...

PKDS-6 8

Dear PKDS,

    I'd been wondering when the Apel/Briggs interview with Phil Dick would crop up in the Newsletter. I was shown a copy of this interview in ms. form in 1979 or 1980 and I was disturbed at the time by the wholly erroneous description of the events surrounding the publication of WE CAN BUILD YOU in Amazing as "A. Lincoln, Simularum." I write now in an effort to set the record straight, although my disappointment with Phil has worn off since his death.

The original title of the novel was THE FIRST IN YOUR FAMILY, and I believe it was the first novel Phil wrote after his foray into mainstream novels, circa 1958-60 -- essentially the first of the "modern" Dick sf novels which Phil produced in such a spate in 1960-64. It was the only first-person-narrated novel, and it had one rather major problem, a problem which had kept it from selling for ten years before I bought it: it had no ending. It didn't resolve.

{...}

I'd heard about the novel, as he says, from someone at Scott Meredith -- maybe from when I worked there (1963), or perhaps later, I no longer recall -- and when I became editor of Amazing I asked for it. Scott was glad to send it out; it had been unsold for ten years by then, perhaps the only remaining unsold sf property of Phil's. I read it and realised what the problem was, and I asked Phil about two things: changing the title (to "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum," my choice) and adding an ending.

Now to put this into context I must point out that I had met Phil in 1964, lived in his house, had him read the I Ching for me (a startling experience, the validity of which I believe to this day), and had been publicly described by Phil as the man who knew his work and understood it best. In 1965 or 1966 he had given me the first fifty pages and the synoptic essay for DEUS IRAE and asked me to finish it for him. In other words, this was a man who professed admiration and respect for me and wanted me to collaborate with him. (As a jape, he gave Penguin a photo of me and it was printed [as a photo of the author] on the back cover of the British THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE.)

So I called Phil up; he had no objection to my proposed title change and he suggested I write the ending to the novel. I counter-suggested that I write a first draft and send it to him for him to rewrite, and he agreed. So I wrote a somewhat off-the-wall final chapter in skeletal form. I expected Phil to either reject it out of hand or rewrite it and flesh it out. He did neither. He returned it to me with three words changed and praised its economy.

As far as I knew when I ran "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum" it was in a form satisfactory to Phil. Because I considered myself a friend of Phil's, I tried to do more for him. I knew the novel had been rejected by every market that had seen it, and that undoubtedly included Ace (his original publisher), but ten years had passed and now it had an ending, so I gave a copy to Terry Carr, who was then editor of the Ace Specials. He didn't like it, but passed it on to Don Wollheim -- who had rejected the original version -- who also refused it. However, after Don went to DAW he must have had second thoughts, because he bought it for DAW and published it under a third title, WE CAN BUILD YOU --sans my ending.

{... ...}{Ted White>PKDS, nd} 


Collector’s Notes

Massoglia Books: "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum" in Amazing Stories, Nov 1969 (Part 1, 1st). VG. Chipping top back cover. $10

Massoglia Books: "A. Lincoln, Simulacrum" in Amazing Stories, Nov 1969 (Part 1, 1st). Minor water spotting last three pages and back cover. $10


Credits    Navigation      philipdick.com     Novels    Short Stories     References