Credits    Navigation      philipdick.com     Novels    Short Stories     References

TheGreatC.gif (4824 bytes)
aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes) aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes) aaPinkBeam.GIF (249 bytes)

Number

Writing Date

Pub. Date

Previous

Next

Notes

23

<Jul 31, 1952

Sep 1953

Out In The Garden

King Of The Elves

4900 wds

FIRST PUBLICATION

HISTORY:

  "The Great C" is the first of PKD’s stories set in a post-apocalypse world. Survivors of ‘The Great Smash’ must sacrifice one of their tribe each year to the Great C, a computer that has also survived. Of course, the sacrificial lamb has a chance to avoid his fate if only he can stump the Great C with one of his three questions. But civilization has fallen far and, anyway, how exactly did the world begin?

    The manuscript for "The Great C" arrived at the Agency the same day as "Out in The Garden" and "Paycheck", July 31 1952. It was first published in Cosmos Science Fiction #1 in the debut issue of Sep 1953. It also made an appearance in PKD’s staunch Australian ally, SF Monthly in their seventh issue in March 1956. Later, PKD and his one-time collaborator, Roger Zelazny would incorporate the story into their novel DEUS IRAE (1976).

    "The Great C" rates ô ô ô


Other Magazine and Anthology appearances        For Cover Pix Click Here:  aaaPKDickBooks.jpg (3234 bytes)

1956 Mar SF MONTHLY #7 (Australian)       
1976 DEUS IRAE (adapted into novel)  
1987 THE COLLECTED STORIES OF PKD  
     

NOTES:

Adapted into the novel DEUS IRAE (1976)

 


Collector’s Notes

Ken Lopez: "The Great C" in Cosmos Science Fiction and Fantasy #1, Sep 1953 (1st). VG. Signed by author. $150


Credits    Navigation      philipdick.com     Novels    Short Stories     References